We are pleased to announce the Best of 2019 Awards and Competition: "The Golden Age of Hollywood and Musicals"; please note time period of this theme is 1930s to early 1960s. Competitors: Outfit for finals, music for event, and look for the event should follow the theme; please see below for specifications on preliminary night (compulsory round).
Pre-lims: Friday, December 20, 2019, 7pm Doors and Pre-Show Performances. 8pm Competition. No Cover.
Finals: Saturday, December 21, 2019. 10pm Event / Competition. $5 Cover
This year's Special Guests and Judges include:
Details of the Competition:
Individuals and Groups must have performed with the Black Cat Cabaret at least 2 times (twice) from November 1, 2018 to November 17, 2019. Black Cat Cabaret performances will have included performances under the auspices of the Black Cat Cabaret / Sidewinders Ranch / TWIST Nightclub, La Fonda del Bosque, the NM clubhouse, the performing arts center, and any Black Cat Cabaret outreach event/show.
Judging Criteria for the event: Please read this sheet to get an idea of what the judges will be using as benchmarks. Judging Criteria from 2018
This year's selection of who will compete will come from the recommendations of at least 3 panels. Input and ratings from these areas will be weighted. Regular performing and presence at events related to the cabaret always helps selectors.
The official name of the event will be: Sidewinders Ranch's Best of 2019 Cabaret Honors, Awards, and Competition "The Golden Age of Hollywood and Musicals"
To qualify for competition:
We may take more nominees due to ties from the panels judging, but Top 30% are considered first.
Additional Cabaret Honors and Awards being given which are selected by vote and conferred by the Artistic Director and the Cabaret:
Guidelines for Competition:
1) Music and tech sheets due December 18, 2019. We will take them up until noon on 12/19/19 if needed, or at the event due to technical difficulties. Tech sheets: Click Here.
2) Come ready to perform by 7pm; pre-lims show at 7pm and event at 8pm - notify Renee if you cannot be there until a later time - accommodations can be made
3) No flammables, firearms, dangerous or hazardous materials; any such materials will automatically disqualify contestant. No balloons or blood. No Glitter or Confetti.
4) Dress for a competition and for awards ceremony
5) Check-in with security and stage manager
6) Confirm your participation
7) Must have valid government issued ID
8) No outside beverages permitted
9) Participation releases Sidewinders from any liability
10) Should stay for entire event unless otherwise discussed, as the event will have awards given in the middle and the end.
11) It is recommended that performers watch as much of the competition as they can.
12) You will have 4 minutes to set-up, perform and complete your piece. 5 points will be deducted for going beyond 4 minutes.
13) Please note: Performers who are competitors may not be able to leave the stage due to lack of stairs.
PRELIMS ARE FRIDAY 12/20/19, 8pm (7pm Call time). Finals are Saturday, 12/21/19, 10pm (9pm Call time).
Please note that management and DJs are not permitted to compete. Drag family members do not have the same restrictions.
Please note - the prelims have special requirements for outfit, look, and shoes. All competitors must follow guidelines below for the Prelims (compulsory round):
Day 1: Friday, 12/20/19. Event at 8pm. Call time: 7pm. This will be the Compulsory Round (Prelims). Start time is 8pm with a title walk, special performances, and welcome.
There are outfit and look requirements for Prelims. Songs/Routines must not be longer than 4 mins long. This includes set up, performance, and breakdown. Please leave time for clean up after each piece, which is part of the 4 minutes.
You MUST bring someone to clean up after you (kitten/assist) if you are planning to remove clothes, throw items, etc.
Day 2: Saturday, 12/21/19. Event at 10pm. Call time 9pm. Top 20 will reach the finals. Start time: 10pm. Call time 9pm. Welcome speech followed by finals.
Below is a list of those who will be asked to compete; this represents the Top 30% based on panel ratings.
Please confirm by 12/4/19 if you plan to compete.
If you are listed as an alternate below, you are invited to compete if space allows. You will be notified early December 2019 if space has opened up.
Alternate - Matthew Starr Kyng - Drag
Alternate - MsChief Anya Rez - Drag
Alternate - Nadia Bizness - Drag